Highclere Society Summer Barbecue 2013
This page shows all Highclere Society Events as well as a selection of those of other local organisations. Please go to the Highclere Village Website for a full diary of village events (e.g. Village Hall events, Highclere Film Club and so on). There are also weekly 'Walking for Health' events every Friday starting at 10.30a. Last walks in 2016: From The Rampant Cat on 11th and 25th November, 9th and 23rd December. From The Church Hall on 18th November, 2nd, 16th and 30th December. See news item (Dec 2015) about these walks.
|Thurs 24th||Highclere Society AGM||Village Hall 8pm. AGM followed by free bar with time to socialise.|
|Thurs 17th||Highclere Film Club||Hail Caesar! A day in the life of Eddie Mannix (Josh Brolin), a Hollywood fixer for Capitol Pictures in the 1950s. Village Hall 7.30pm for 8.00pm start.|
|Fri 2nd||Highclere Wassail||7pm Village Hall. Tickets for this popular annual event are going fast. Contact Mary McQuillen to book a place. Email: marymcquillen*AT*icloud.com.|
|Wed 14th||Highclere Christmas Carols||Carol singers go round the village from 6.30pm to 9pm in aid of charity. See news for how to join in.|
|Tues 27th||Annual Village Walk||Starts 10.30am The Red House. Mulled wine and mince pies half way round. Collection in aid of charity. See news page for more details.|
Some earlier events
- Sat 29th Oct: A Casino Night to celebrate the 20th birthday of the Society - read report
- Mon 26th Sep: Society Autumn Golf Day at Donnington - read report
- Sun 26th Jun: Highclere Society Summer Barbecue - read report
- Sat 8th Jun: Highclere Village Fete - read report
- Mon 11th Apr: Society Golf Day at Weybrook Park - read report
- Sat 13th Feb: Wine Tasting Quiz ("Call My Bluff") - read report
- Sun 27th Dec: Annual Charity Christmas Walk, starting from The Red House - read report
- Tue 15th Dec: Carol singing around the village - read report
- Fri 4th Dec: Highclere's Annual Wassail, Village Hall
- Wed 4th Nov: Highclere Society AGM - read report
- Wed 28th Oct: Talk on the history of Highclere Castle by Lady Carnarvon
- Mon 19th Oct: The Society's Autumn golf tournament at Test Valley Golf Club - read report
- Sat 4th July: The Watermill on Tour: “A Little History of the World” - see announcement
- Sun 28th June: The Society's Annual Barbecue held at The Shielings - read report
- Sat 13th June: Village Fete at the church - raised over £5,000
- Tues 12th May: Annual Parish Assembly, Village Hall
- Mon 13th Apr: Spring Golf Day: not a drop of rain and a good competition - read report
- Sat 7th Feb: Annual Wine Tasting Quiz; 70 members in 9 teams - read report
- Sat 27th Dec: The 30th annual village charity Christmas walk; £802 raised for Anna's Challenges - read report
- Wed 17th Dec: Highclere Christmas Carol Singers; money collected for Cancer Research - read report
- Thur 6th Nov: AGM including a talk by Chris Boulton, CEO of Greenham Common Trust - read report
- Fri 26th Sep: Highclere Society Autumn golf tournament at Sherdfield Oaks - read report
- Sun 29th Jun: The Society's annual barbecue. Held at The Shielings - read report.
- Tue 3rd Jun: Highclere Parish Assembly - held in the Dunlop Room, Highclere Church.
- Mon 7th Apr: Spring Golf Day - a re-run of last October's abandoned match at Marlborough - read report
- Sat 15th Mar: Annual Wine Tasting Quiz - a popular sell out event - read report
- Fri 27th Dec: The Annual Charity Walk - this raised £600 for The Ark Cancer Centre - read report
- Thur 7th Nov: Annual General Meeting - after the formal meeting Diane Mitchell, Chief Guide, talked about Highclere Castle (aka Downton Abbey)
- Sun 30th June: The summer Barbeque - read report
- Sun 2nd June: The annual cricket match Highclere vs. East Woodhay
- Fri 19th Apr: Spring Golf Day. Decent weather for this re-run of the previously abandoned event - read report
- Thur 14th Feb: Wine Tasting 'Call My Bluff' Quiz. A keenly fought contest and a great evening - read report
- Thur 27th Dec: Charity Christmas Walk: £450 raised for local charity - read report
- Fri 7th Dec: Wassail Evening held in the village hall
- Sat 10th Nov: a successful Motown Night - read report
- Thur 29th Nov: AGM - new appointments, charity cheque, broadband update - read report
- Mon 24th Sept: The Autumn Golf Day at Crookham - due to heavy rain this was abandoned after five holes. We will reschedule for Spring 2013 - read note
- Sat 2nd June: Diamond Jubilee Picnic Party - an enjoyable event despite the soggy weather - read report
- 2nd - 5th June: "Flowers of the Crown" - the village's fantastic and highly acclaimed flower festival in the church.
- Sun 27th May: "One World", a world tour in music and prose by Watership Cantabile. Proceeds to Living Paintings, our charity of the year - see report and About Living Paintings by Christine Leah (PDF).
- Thu 10th May: Parish Annual Assembly - read report
- Mon 16th April: Spring Golf Day at Test Valley Golf Club - read report
- Sat 3rd March: Barn Dance, Highclere Village Hall
- Thur 16th February: Defibrillator Training - read report
- Thur 2nd February: 'Call My Bluff' Wine Quiz - read report.
- Tues 27th December: Annual Village Christmas Walk in aid of Jacks Place - read report.
- Thur 24th November: The Society's AGM. News of a new AED and support for charities - read report.
- Sat 12th November: 'Broadway themed' evening Party to celebrate the Society's 15th birthday - read report.
- Thur 29th September: Society golf day at Sherfield Oaks, Basingstoke - read report.
- Mon 4th April: Society golf day at Weybrook Golf Club, Basingstoke - read report.
- Thurs 17th February: A wine quiz in the village hall. Great fun was had by all in trying to "spot the wine" - read report.
- Monday 27th December: The Annual Village Christmas Walk. A circular walk from the Red House - read report.
- Thursday 18th November: AGM with donation to Help The Heros and a talk on sustainable homes - see photo.
- Monday 8th November: Society Golf Day at Goring & Streatley - read report.
- Sunday 20th June: The Society's annual summer social event: this year a hogroast - read report.
- Monday 12th April: Highclere Society Golf Day at Ogbourne Downs - read report.
- Saturday 27th Feb: Ceilidh and Barn Dance Band - a sell out!
- Sunday 27th December: 25th Annual Charity Walk. Over 300 attended. Read report and see photo.
- Thursday 12th November: The Society's AGM, with crime becoming a heightened concern. Read report.
- Monday 5th Oct: Golf day at The Hampshire just outside Andover. Read report.
- Sunday 28th June: Hog Roast. The usual format with a 'gazebo village' to protect us from the sun! Read report.
- Sunday 14th June: 'Parsons Pleasure' - a celebration in music and words of the Revd Tim Horsington's 25 years as rector
- Monday 31st Mar: Golf Day - at Marlborough. The 5th one to date. Read report
- Saturday 5th Feb: Wine Tasting - with wines from the boutique vineyards in South Africa Read report
- Saturday 27th Dec: Annual Christmas Charity Walk - in aid of The Stroke Association. Read details
- Monday 6th Oct: Society Golf Day - some good scores Read report
- Sunday 29th June: Cricket Match at Malverleys - a tie! Read report
- Sunday 21st June: Summer Fizz - breezy but bright. Popular as ever; sold out! Read report
- Monday 31st March: Golf Day - a great time had by all. Read report
- Thursday 14th Feb: Valentine's Quiz Night - 'Call my bluff' for (wine) lovers. Read report